Professional ExperienceJuly 2015 – Present Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital | Eldoret, Kenya: Senior Systems Administrator
Appointed as a Senior Systems Administrator following initial role of a Systems Administrator. Provide Windows/Unix/Linux administration, Healthcare Management Information Systems (HMIS) administration, LAN/WAN/VPN administration and intrusion detection and prevention monitoring. Also manage FTP servers, AD/DNS and wireless access points. Design and implement highly available and disaster recovery solutions for the employer.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Install, configure, deploy, maintain, upgrade, patch and administer OS based systems (Windows, Unix and Linux) for users and back-office environments.
- Configure, deploy, administer and maintain the Integrated Healthcare Management Information System (I-HMIS).
- Participate in all phases of systems management including performance and availability, monitoring and alerting, data integrity, security and capacity planning.
- Perform all system administration tasks in accordance with ISO project management methodologies, adhering to scheduling, change control, security and applicable operational policies and procedures.
- Install, manage and maintain OS and software applications and services such as Windows AD, DNS, IIS, Apache, Tomcat, FTP, SQL Server, Exchange and numerous 3rd party applications such as backup, monitoring, patching and other line-of-business applications.
- Provide on-call support to resolve and/or escalate user/systems incidents or issues outside normal working hours including support during software deployment/release activities.
- Collaborate with ICT Manager, ICT team, users, developers and other business stakeholders to determine requirements and design systems to meet business and technical objectives, SLAs, availability and capacity requirements including high availability, farms/clusters, disaster recovery, redundant systems and backup.
- Create and maintain system administration procedure and technical documentation.
- Perform other tasks, including administration of other systems and applications, as needed to meet the objectives of the team and hospital.
Took a new role as a Senior Systems Administrator and charged with overseeing system installations, as well as monitoring and maintaining the organization’s ICT servers and evaluating new server hardware and software.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintained and administered computer networks and related computing environments including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations.
- Performed data backups and disaster recovery operations.
- Diagnosed, troubleshot, and resolved hardware, software, or other network and system problems, and replaced defective components when necessary.
- Planned, coordinated, and implemented network security measures to protect data, software, and hardware.
- Configured, monitored, and maintained email applications or virus protection software.
- Operated master consoles to monitor the performance of computer systems and networks, and to coordinate computer network access and use.
- Designed, configured, and tested computer hardware, networking software and operating system software.
- Monitored network performance to determine whether adjustments needed to be made, and to determine where changes were need to be made in the future.
- Conferred with network users on how to solve existing system problems.
- Installing hardware and software systems
- Maintaining or repairing equipment
- Troubleshooting a variety of computer issues
- Setting up computer security measures
- Configuring computer networks
- Offering technical support on-site or via phone or email
- Installed and tested new hardware and software.
- Maintained computer peripheral equipment such as scanners, printers, laminators and projectors.
- Troubleshot computers with hardware faults and repaired or replaced hardware where necessary.
- Ensured the anti-virus software was installed, kept up to date and working properly.
- Upgraded, Repaired and Maintained Personal Computers for clients.
Teaching ExperienceJan 2015 – Dec 2016 University of Eldoret | Eldoret, Kenya: Part-time Lecturer Courses taught:
- Introduction to Computer Science
- Introduction to Computers and Computing
- Introduction to Internet and Web Design
- Intermediate Hypertext Mark-up Language
- Operating Systems
- Data Communication and Computer Networks
- Decision Support Systems and Expert Systems
- Advanced Database Systems